Scott T. Smith, M.D.
Currently serving as president of University Orthopaedic Surgeons, Dr. Scott Smith has nearly 20 years of traumatology experience working with orthopaedic injuries to both the upper and lower extremities. Dr. Smith specializes in foot and ankle reconstruction as well as total ankle arthroplasty. He also works closely with patients with post-traumatic needs, such as arthritis, limb lengthening utilizing the Ilizarov technique, and bone transport to fill the gaps of missing bone. He has special interests in injuries to the pelvis, foot, and ankle and post-traumatic reconstruction.
A femur fracture in his teenage years strengthened Dr. Smith’s interest in athletic training. Coupled with his interests in anatomy and the mechanics of movement, he chose a career as a physician in orthopaedic medicine. He is a graduate of The University of Iowa and the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. He completed an orthopaedic surgery residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, where he served as chief resident in 1995 – 1996. He also completed an orthopaedic traumatology fellowship at the University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California. Dr. Smith currently serves in a number of leadership roles, including chairman of the Division of Orthopaedics at The University of Tennessee Medical Center, medical director for the Orthopaedic Center of Excellence, and assistant professor at The University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine, and he is frequently recognized as a Top Doc by his professional peers in Cityview Magazine.
In his spare time, Dr. Smith enjoys playing golf and competes in both state and national mid-amateur tournaments. Dr. Smith and his wife have two sons.
Dr. Smith's Educational Links
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1987
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, 1991
- Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, 1991 – 1992
- Orthopaedic Surgery: Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI, 1992 – 1996
- Orthopaedic Traumatology: University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, 1996 – 1997
Began Practice at University Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1999
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery at the College of Medicine - Knoxville
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Paul R. Lipscomb Orthopaedic Society
- Tennessee Orthopaedic Society
- The University of Tennessee Medical Center
UT Research Park
1600 Accelerator Way, Suite 200
Knoxville, TN 37920
- “Dr. Smith always gives me appropriate information and viable options.”– Mary T.