Michael J. Kern, M.D.
Dr. Michael Kern joined University Orthopaedic Surgeons as an orthopaedic sports medicine and arthroscopic specialist. His passion is working with athletes of all ages to help them recover after injuries, whether that means getting back on the field or simply getting back to doing what they love.
After graduating from Brown University, Dr. Kern pursued his medical degree at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. He then completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. Following this, he completed an advanced fellowship in sports medicine at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, founded by the renowned Dr. James Andrews. During this time, he acquired extensive experience with advanced arthroscopic surgery, on-the-field sports coverage, and the medical management of elite athletes. Dr. Kern is the official team physician from Maryville College.
With a background in carpentry prior to medical school and a love for working with his hands, Dr. Kern was quickly drawn to the surgical side of medical care. He has also been an athlete for most of his life, so orthopaedics was a natural fit. When he’s not at work, Dr. Kern enjoys spending time with his wife, Margot, and his sons, Russell and Sam. He also enjoys basketball, woodworking, disc golf, and hiking.
Dr. Michael Kern is available to see patients at our UT Medical Center, West Knoxville, Sevierville, or Maryville locations. You can request an appointment online or call (865) 546-2663 for our UT Medical Center, Sevierville, and West Knoxville offices, (865) 218-9300 for our West Knoxville office. Telemedicine appointments are also available by request.
- Bachelor of Science: Brown University, Providence, RI, 2007
- Doctor of Medicine: Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, 2012
- General and Orthopaedic Surgery: Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C., 2012 – 2013
- Orthopaedic Surgery: Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, D.C., 2013 – 2017
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: American Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, AL, 2017 – 2018
Began Practice at University Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Andrews Sports Medicine Fellowship Society
- The American Orthopaedic Association, Emerging Leaders Program
- Scholarship in Teaching Award, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2009
UT Research Park
1600 Accelerator Way, Suite 200
Knoxville, TN 37920
11440 Parkside Drive, Suite 110
Knoxville, TN 37934
UT Medical Center Regional Health Center
1130 Middle Creek Road
Sevierville, TN 37862
827 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy
Maryville, TN 37804
- “I am 70 years young, and this rotator cuff surgery was my first surgery ever. Based on personal accounts from friends and relatives, I wasn't looking forward to this particular procedure. From my initial appointment, through surgery and my post-op appointment, the University Orthopedic Surgeons staff, day surgery staff, and Dr. Kern and his staff have been nothing short of fabulous. The personable and professional treatment which I got subjected to speaks volumes to the pride in which you take in providing the best of concerned care. I can only attribute the fact that I have experienced very little pain to Dr. Kern's skill and ability. I have told and will continue to relate my story to anyone and everyone who will listen and asks about my exceptional experience with the University Orthopedic Surgeons Department. ”– Ron F.