Michael S. Eilerman, M.D.
Dr. Michael Eilerman joined University Orthopaedic Surgeons over 25 years ago in 1993. Dr. Eilerman graduated from the University of Dayton in 1983 and earned his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1987. Following an orthopaedic surgery residency at Mount Carmel Health System in Columbus, Ohio, he completed an orthopaedic traumatology fellowship at Tampa General Hospital, where he received distinction as Fellow of the Year in 1993. Dr. Eilerman is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon and is currently an assistant professor at The University of Tennessee Medical Center.
Dr. Eilerman has taken a special interest in joint replacement surgery of the hip and knee. He has been performing anterior approach hip replacements at The University of Tennessee Medical Center for over 10 years. To date, he has performed over 2500 such procedures. He feels this approach is much less invasive with a quicker recovery than standard approaches.
Dr. Eilerman and his wife, Theresa, a registered nurse, have two lovely daughters. Their daughter Elyse graduated from the University of Virginia, and their youngest daughter, Natalie, is enrolled at the University of Dayton, Ohio. Dr. Eilerman enjoys spending time with his family and attending their numerous activities. His personal interests include boating, biking, hiking, and hunting.
Dr. Michael Eilerman, Anterior Approach to Hip Replacement
Dr. Eilerman was the first orthopaedic surgeon in Knoxville to perform the anterior approach hip replacement. With this approach, Dr. Eilerman is able to perform the surgery through the front of the hip, avoiding any cutting of the muscles or tendons, making it much less invasive than traditional hip replacement. This approach allows for a quicker recovery, with less pain. Dr. Eilerman has performed this particular approach for over 10 years.
Dr. Eilerman's Educational Links
CityView Top Doctor in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Bachelor of Science: University of Dayton, Dayton, OH, 1983
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, 1987
- Orthopaedic Surgery: Mount Carmel Health System, Columbus, OH, 1987 – 1992
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery Rotation: Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH, 1990
- Orthopaedic Traumatology: Tampa General Hospital, Tampa, FL, 1992 – 1993
Began Practice at University Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1995
- Joint Replacement
- Fracture Care and Reconstruction
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery at the College of Medicine - Knoxville
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Parkwest Medical Center
- Tennova Turkey Creek Medical Center
- The University of Tennessee Medical Center
UT Research Park
1600 Accelerator Way, Suite 200
Knoxville, TN 37920
11440 Parkside Drive, Suite 110
Knoxville, TN 37934
- “Dr. Eilerman is excellent. I had an anterior hip replacement, and I am incredibly pleased with every step of my care. I highly recommend Dr. Eilerman.”– Dawn C.