Philip G. McDowell, Jr., M.D.
Frequenting the doctor’s office at a young age for injuries he sustained playing sports, Dr. Philip McDowell wanted to be an orthopaedic surgeon for as long as he can remember. After graduating with distinction from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Dr. McDowell attended The University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine on the Gooch Merit Scholarship. He then returned to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine and completed his internship and residency in orthopaedic surgery.
As a general orthopedist, Dr. McDowell enjoys restoring function and returning patients to their desired lifestyles. His professional interests within the field include sports medicine, particularly knee and shoulder arthroscopy, total joint arthroplasty, and trauma.
Dr. McDowell and his wife, Andrea, are native East Tennesseans and have three sons, twin boys Jack and Charlie and a third son, Hank. In his spare time, Dr. McDowell enjoys being with his family—including a golden retriever. He also likes running and playing golf and basketball. Another favorite pastime is attending sporting events of all types.
CityView Top Doctor in 2022, 2023
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, 1998
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine, Memphis, TN, 2002
Internship & Residency
- Orthopaedic Surgery: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, 2002 – 2007
Began Practice at University Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2009
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery at the College of Medicine - Knoxville
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- University of North Carolina Orthopaedic Alumni Association
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center
- Fort Sanders West
- Parkwest Medical Center
- Parkwest Surgery Center
- The University of Tennessee Medical Center
- 2007 Resident Research Award at UNC for his research on ACL injuries in females
UT Research Park
1600 Accelerator Way, Suite 200
Knoxville, TN 37920
11440 Parkside Drive, Suite 110
Knoxville, TN 37934